Friends, let the title of my article not shock you. I know for a fact you might be wondering, “Heck, what’s all this be your own Valentine about?!” Dear lover, before you quickly look for me and catechize my innocent art, please listen. Let’s take a step at a time till we reach that holy grail!
Conversation surrounding me this week is about Valentine’s Day. For everyone’s sake, it is a cool convo. However, I think there has been too much accentuation with minimal understanding of the big day.
Please, dear lover, do not get me wrong. In addition, do not confuse me for a bitter writer. One who knows absolutely nothing about love, red roses and the cosy romantic background music .
Dear lover, maybe you opine that am a benighted young writer. One who probably has not healed from a severe heart break. Who got dumped the other day and is now pouring all the wrath in writing. Perhaps, you have already created a facade of a staunch sicko, hater of lovers. Maybe, to add, a formidable believer of ‘am dying single’ lass. In the contrary, I am not all that.
I am a dear lover too,
All said and done, I am a dear lover too. In fact , I am not untaught nor unlettered of how significant Valentine’s Day is. Especially for the ever hands holding Romeo and Juliet.
I hope you are ready for this; Do not be surprised to see me on that candlelit Valentine’s dinner chill out, with a handsome gorgeous man beside me . This time round, not with a Bible, note book or a pen but with red roses (I won’t mind a vase). Importantly, typical chocolates, cool music and beautiful cards on the couple coffee table next to you.
Presumably, looking all glamorous in my well dressed for the occasion look. For better part of it, being a dear lover, I anticipate to be all pulchritudinous for him that night.
Clearly, I cannot say enough. I guess by now you have cleared your wild dogma and opinions of me.
Who will be my Valentine?
We all know there is pressure all over.
Pressure of, “Who will be my Valentine?” Haha, this reminds me of the hilarious Valentines song which has taken our whatsapp statuses by storm. They sing, Valentines is coming, Valentines is coming, where’s your boyfriend, you sitting home alone, lonely..…..Of course, funny that song may seem, trust me there is a lady or man somewhere going through its reality.
Our meme gurus are not making it any easier for us, the uproarious humour of being single at this time of love is intense. Reminders after reminders of how single and lonely you are.
Three quarters of the social media posts are on Valentines and Men’s Conference. Lawd Awmighty, happy are those who will attend the conference knowing well Valentine’s Day is not their day. What about those who are not attending the conference nor doing Valentines because they are “alone” and not men, or are men but do not have the ‘tickets’ to attend the conference?
Dear lovers, truth be told, we have been a bit scurrilous as far as those in singlehood are concerned. I too, am guilty of this.
In the midst of jokes and oddity at worst, there is someone hurting. Maybe because they ended their relationship in a mess just the other day. Moreover, not surprising, some find Valentine’s Day not just for them, others may be trusting God for a partner – earnestly trusting. You will never know their story.
ALSO READ: DO I LET HIM GO? HE IS SO NEAR YET FAR AWAY.
More light, I am talking to you who feel overwhelmed by your current relationship status-singlehood. There’s no pressure trust me. Take your time. Valentine’s Day will come and go, dear lover.
Pause, do not ask the ‘Who will be my Valentine’ question anymore.
Be your own Valentine
Far be it, the surmise that the day is only for love birds. Those whose stories match the diegesis of Alejandro and Maria Cruz. The stars of the illustrious soap operas of the time.
I am a talisman of the belief that everyone can celebrate love. If everyone can celebrate love, then everyone can celebrate Valentine’s Day!
I stand to be corrected, whether dating or single, 14th February is a day you can show love to self or others. Valentine’s Day is for everyone. Be your own Valentine, dear lover.
There are a thousand and many more ways to make this Valentine’s Day remarkable as a single person or dating.
Dear lover, this is how….
Specifically if you are not dating, here are ways you can be your own Valentine this Friday.
- Attend a church service. Most churches I bet will be having a love chat /sermon/program for all their members – dating and singles. Do not miss.
- Go for a photoshoot(s) . Dress to kill. Put on that great look and go for photoshoots with your girls, boys or alone. Create memories.
- Read a love story. Get a novel, journal or magazines and read about love. It’s refreshing, I tell you.
- Dress well. Dress well for yourself. Put on the red theme!
- Have an indoor picnic alone or with your friends or family. You can get boxes of pizza, drinks, indoor games and movie night at home.
- Buy yourself, friends and family gifts. You can get chocolates and flowers, cards and other gifts of your choice to pamper the Valentines mood.
- Have a candlelit dinner with friends, family or alone with your teddy bears (Pardon my manners:-))
- Buy tickets and go watch a movie. Don’t forget to get yourself some popcorns and face tissues (incase you get a bit emotional) .
- If you are a lover of pastry like me, you can have a Valentines-baking Day. Bake something with a taste of red velvet and love heart shape.
- Attend a fun show like Churchill show for those who will be in Kenya that day. Laugh yourself out then go sleep afterwards, thank me later.
The list is endless, I hope you find this useful. I hope you will know how precious you are and appreciate this period of singlehood.
Dear lover, I pray that you will find love in loving yourself this love season.